« Home | Schilling's Red Sock and Peyton's Politics » | Outnumbered At Home » | Shaking Up the AL East » | You Don't Play Baseball on Paper » | In Response to My Frustration » | Wednesday Mornings on NPR » | Dungy's Missed Opportunity » | From Barbaro To Barry, Bernie to Da Bears--It's al... » | Not Just for Locals, The Superbowl is Fun for Ever... » | Top Ten+1 Jewish Athletes »

Sporting a New Look

Past the NBA and NHL recaps in today's LA Times is a first person piece entitled "Old Mike, New Christine."

Mike Penner, Times Staff Writer, has announced to the world that he will be undergoing Sex Reassignment Surgery and come back as Christine.

The best part is when Penner writes:

I broke the news to Tim by beginning, "Are you familiar with the movie 'Transamerica'?" Tim nodded. "Well, welcome to my life," I said.

Tim seemed more perplexed than most as I nervously launched into my story.

Finally, he had to explain, "I thought you said 'Trainspotting.' I thought you were going to tell me you're a heroin addict."


Over the past couple of months there has been so much uproar in sports about discrimination and identity. Amaechi comes out, Hardaway is homophobic, Don Imus' comments, just to name a few.

I really admire Penner for writing this so publicly and I cannot imagine how difficult it will be to be an out transsexual sports writer. Hopefully having someone so mainstream be honest will give people a greater understanding about transsexualism and hopefully the often close-minded sports world will not make this a huge joke.